Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Scared into action up Mam Tor!

..and haven't even attempted Whinnats pass yet! After the run yesterday and today's bike - run, starting to realise just how much work I need to do...

Did hourish circuit, including steep climb up Mam Tor road from Edale - was really chuffed to make it up - was long, and a chunk in the middle felt especially hard - nearly at the top and I looked back at a sign informing me it had only been 10% - I was really disappointed! So a mixture of emotions - I really don't see how 'the Struggle'' at 25% is possible for me, even if I train loads more. Perhaps I just need to accept I'll be walking up it? Or should I use a mountain bike? But that would spoil the really fast sections - and it's a long way to go on a mountain bike...38miles..10% is certainly doable more easily with more training - but the extra muscle strength for much steeper might just be too much...we then cycled down Whinnats back into Castleton, and I thought there's just no way I'll get up this - but shall try!

We then went straight out on a 7 mile hilly road run - starting straight off with a 13% upwards..there were lots more ups and downs after that aswell, and it was a struggle, but I made it. How such a run is going to be possible after 3 times as long on a bike is not yet imaginable.

I need a training partner who will push me harder...if I lived round here with the hills and my sister, I'd soon improve!

Bike - 1 hr 5 mins ish - 11 miles,  Castleton - Hope by Pindale Road, to Edale, up Mam Tor road, back to Castleton via Whinnats Pass

Run (straight off ish) - 7 miles, 1 hr 20 ish - Castleton, up Siggat road, down into Bradwell on further road (not first turn) - back road to Hope, back along Pindale road, to Castleton - hard - will be very stiff tomorrow, but this is what I need to be doing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment