Saturday, 13 June 2009

Mental toughness!

7am I was running this morning! That's so not me! But it was SO beautiful.. Some folk from Wooler running club - including a couple of women who also come to tri training swimming - and who don't run way faster than me - go out for a longer hilly run most Saturday mornings - and I got this notion into my head that I ought to go or I wasn't mentally tough enough for Helvellyn! And I do need to work on running more than everything else - well, hills on the bike too..

The first few miles was on road - and faster than I normally go - although I was managing ok, I was thinking I was going to struggle later if they kept up this pace..but once I'd settled, and we'd gone off road I was much more comfortable...helped by the group missing a turn and ending up wading through a load of heather and bracken - walking!

Sat 13th June 09
Long run - 7am - 11.79 miles (by Garmin!) - 2hrs 26mins (incl 20mins plus of walking thru heather) - 4miles along road from Chatton to Old Bewick - climb up to Blair Weary (spelt wrong) - across moors towards Ross Castle - around into Chillingham (?) woods, past Chillingham cattle, back along roads..felt manageable, though tired in last mile - not surprising as I've only run up to 1.5 hrs, since winter social coastal run in Dec - so quite a big jump. Feels like what I need to be doing more of..

Thurs 11 June 09
Lake swim - 7pm - about 1300m? - was a bit late, so didn't quite go as far as far end - then back and to level with bird shit island- bit avoided going round it due to the revoltingness or the water!

short run - (15 mins ish) after swim, round lake - pushed on harder than normal as with someone - but managed fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment